A baby with a stuffy nose may struggle to breathe comfortably, have trouble feeding, and generally be miserable. Dry air can lead to a stuffy nose because the nasal tissues can dry out and become inflamed or swollen. Even if their nose is clear, babies may struggle to breathe easily.
Experts from The Hospital for Sick Children recommend a cool mist vaporizer as a safe, cool to the touch tool source of moisture for the air in your babies room.
This is particularly important in cold climates where your furnace will dry out the air. If your baby has chapped cheeks or dry lips, they may be struggling to breathe.
Warm or Cold Moisture?
For most conditions related to dry air, cool mist humidity is safer to produce and a better addition to the climate of your home. While there are situations where warm, moist air is best, such as if the baby has a bad cold or croup, general nasal dryness can be best addressed with a cool mist humidifier.
How Much Humidity Is Enough?
Excess humidity in the air can lead to mold overgrowth and other dangerous conditions. It’s important to note that you’re only trying to bring up the humidity enough to help your baby sleep and breathe comfortably.
Try running the humidifier during the day and monitor their skin after naps and playtime. Has redness on their cheeks subsided? That may be all the humidity you need.
Many Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier Reviews point out you can run the unit constantly for 16 hours, but if you don’t need that much moisture you may be promoting mold growth.
How Do I Keep the Humidifier Clean?
The Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier includes a cleaning brush and is easy to disassemble. You’ll also get a decalcifying kit which will aid in reducing build-up that can clog nozzles and render the tool inoperable.
If you have especially hard water, consider running distilled water through your baby humidifier. Finally, be sure to empty and dry the unit completely before storing it when you shut down your furnace.
Safe Handling Suggestions
The Ultrasonic Humidifier is quite pretty and contains a nightlight. As your child gets older and more mobile, this may draw their interest and, in their curiosity, they may tip the unit.
It’s not hot, so there are no burn hazards, but it can make a mess and may damage the unit. The Ultrasonic has a wand that you can use to direct humidity toward your child’s sleeping or play area, so rather than risking a tip or spill, place the unit out of their reach and direct the humidity with the wand.
- Auto-Shutoff: If the unit runs dry or you remove the tank to fill it, it will shut down to prevent damage.
- Nightlight: The Ultrasonic has a nightlight feature for comfort and visibility.
- Adjustable Wand: You can direct the mist to your child’s sleeping or play area.
- Easy to Clean: The unit disassembles easily for scrubbing and can be safely cleaned with household products like dish soap and vinegar.
- Large Tank: The humidifier tank holds 1.5 liters of water; no need for constant refills.
- Long Use: The large tank promises 16 hours of trouble-free moisture
- Quiet: The unit operates in near silence; however, it will beep when the water gets low
- Pretty: The design is actually quite pretty; you can use it with or without the light on.
- Fills from the bottom. You’ve got to take the unit apart to fill the tank, so you can monitor any sediment, hard water build-up or mold growth each time you fill the tank.
- Moisture Hazards: Moisture may cause mold. Always use a humidifier to reach basic comfort, no higher.
- Tank Configuration: You will need to open up and flip the holding tank each time you fill it, so place it somewhere you can easily reach it.
- Blue: If you’re set on pink for your nursery, this won’t match.
Frequently Asked Questions
1) How do I clean it?
A mild vinegar solution or a bit of dish soap will easily clean this, just be sure to rinse well and wipe as much of the tank as you can reach. Dry it thoroughly before storing.
2) Any filters?
No filter; this is a humidifier, not an air purifier.
3) How bothersome is the nightlight?
It’s not very bright and you can turn it off if you don’t like it.
If your baby is stuffed up and miserable, or suffering from dry, chapped skin, you need a humidifier to bring up the moisture in your home. The Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier is cool to the touch, multi-purpose unit that can help you enjoy a happier, more comfortable baby.