When Can I Carry My Baby in a Carrier? It is probably one of the most frequently asked questions, especially by working moms that appears on various parenting blogs. The best baby carrier is indeed a great parenting gear for moms who don’t want to keep their babies unattended.
However, there are rumors regarding the safety issues while using a baby carrier. Many parents wondering whether it’s safe to use a carrier? If safe, then when to use? And, a number of questions like these.
If you are one of those parents wondering to know when your baby is ready to be put in a carrier, we assume that you have landed to the right place. Here is all you need to know about the safety issues in terms of the age of your little one. Let’s jump right in!
Table of Contents
When Can I Carry My Baby in a Carrier?
It’s pretty hard to give a straightforward answer to your query, When Can I Carry My Baby in a Carrier? However, a few things are there that indicate your baby is ready to explore the surrounding from a baby carrier. Here are the things you need to consider in order to justify whether your baby is ready for a baby carrier or not.
According to many nursing experts, there is nothing wrong with using a baby carrier provided that your child is ready to ride. The age of your newborn is the most crucial thing in this regard. For a safe and secure ride in a baby carrier, your newborn must be at least 4 to 5 months old according to most of the nursing experts.
However, this is not definite that your child will be ready for the baby carrier at its five months. Age is always one of the most important considerations, however, some babies take more time than the average to be fit for a baby carrier.
Your baby must be capable of holding its head straight without any support to be put into any baby carrier. Usually, most of the newborns develop their neck muscles and become stronger enough to support the head when they reach 4 to 5 months.
Many children develop the strength to support their neck and head even earlier. So, if you intend to use baby carrier before your child reaches its do not months, remember to make sure that the carrier is enough comfortable and supportive for your baby’s neck and head.
Apart from the major two things mentioned earlier, there are a few other things that you need to take into consideration. All these things are mandatory to ensure your child’s safety when it’s a baby carrier.
- Make sure to keep your baby under your kind supervision when using a baby carrier. Try to cling your eyes to the baby and make sure that the fabrics are not covering your child anyway.
- Avoid too much warm dress when putting your baby inside a carrier. Baby carriers are usually warm and comfortable. Added warm clothing may make your child feel heated.
- Ensure your child is close to your heart and feel the warmth of your body. It makes them feel more secure.
- Remember to allow room for free air passage so that your little one does not feel suffocated.
- Fasten all the buckles of the carrier when your child is inside. It helps to ensure required support for the baby’s neck and head when putting inside the carrier.
- Don’t ever bend down when carrying your baby in the back. If you ever need to bend down, make sure your baby is in an upright position, and you are bending at the knee, not your waist.
- Don’t involve in too many intense activities like cycling, running, or take part in sports when carrying your baby in your back. It may invite dangers at any time.
Keeping all these things aside, what is most important for the baby is- comfort and safety when using a baby carrier. Remember to go for a baby carrier that goes with the age, weight, and height of your baby.
Besides, make sure the carrier is strong enough to support your baby, but not too rigid that your baby will feel uncomfortable.